All UW-Madison dissertations and theses required by the department for submission to the library are cataloged in the Library Catalog. If you do not find a dissertation or thesis in the Library Catalog, contact the department. Full-text PDF files of UW-Madison doctoral dissertations completed 1997 or later are available through ProQuest Dissertations & Theses.
Locating UW-Madison Dissertations & Theses
- In the Library Catalog
- In the Library Catalog advanced search, click Manuscripts, Theses from the list of facets on the right.
- Enter an author, title, and/or year search terms.
- Click Search.
- In Library Databases
- Proquest Dissertations & Theses index and full text to dissertations and theses from over 700 academic institutions around the world
- Most pre-1997 UW-Madison dissertations and theses have been scanned as part of the Google Digitization Project. Digitized copies have been deposited in Hathi Trust, a repository for the digitized collections of major research institutions and libraries. When available, Library Catalog records contain links to Hathi Trust and Google Books. Content in the public domain is available full text.
Borrowing UW-Madison Dissertations & Masters Theses
UW-Madison dissertations and theses from 1965-present are stored in the Theses collection in the basement of Memorial Library. UW-Madison dissertations and theses from 1892-1964 are located in the UW-Madison Shelving Facility. UW-Madison master’s theses are not available for check out; they may be viewed in a library.
Your library may be able to provide access to the dissertation you're looking for. Whether you are looking for a specific graduate work, or want to find out what dissertations or theses have been written on a particular subject, ProQuest provides a variety of tools to help.
Virtually every major research library in the world provides access to the ProQuest Dissertations & Theses (PQDT) database through one of several formats:
- ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Database (PQDT) - With more than 2.3 million entries, the ProQuest Dissertations & Theses (PQDT) database is the most comprehensive collection of dissertations and theses in the world. Students, faculty, and other researchers search the database for titles related to their scholarly interests. Of the millions of graduate works listed, we offer over 1.9 million in full text format. PQDT is a subscription database, so consult your library for availability.
- Dissertations & Theses @ - Dissertations & Theses @ is a service for ProQuest’s active university publishing partners. The service provides a university's academic community with free access to citations and abstracts for graduate works from that university. For graduate works published from 1997 forward, a full text PDF will usually be available for free download as well.
- Dissertation Alerts - Dissertation Alerts is an individualized search service for those who lack library access to the ProQuest Dissertations & Theses (PQDT) database. Using the keywords you specify, we review the entire database and retrieve up to 500 titles per search. To request a Dissertation Alerts search, contact us at email@example.com.
If your library does not offer access to the dissertation you're looking for, learn more about dissertation ordering options.