The truth is there is no definitive answer to this question. The number of words it will take to fill a page will depend on a number of factors including the type of font used, the font size, spacing elements, the margins used on the paper, the paragraph length, etc. For example, if the assignment says the writing should be in 10-point font, it’s going to take a greater number of words to fill a page than if the assignment requires a 12-point font.
For those who need a general rule of thumb, a typical page which has 1-inch margins and is typed in 12 point font with standard spacing elements will be approximately 500 words when typed single spaced. For assignments that require double spacing, it would take approximately 250 words to fill the page. For an assignment that requires you to write four pages, you can make the estimation that you’ll need to write approximately 2000 words for a single spaced paper, or 1000 words if the assignment is double spaced. Again, the type of font used can make the word count higher or lower, but it’s a good rule of thumb for those who are simply looking for a general estimation.
Since there can be a large variation on the number of words needed to fill a page, most papers are no longer assigned by page count. They are instead assigned by word count. That is, an assignment, essay or paper will likely be assigned as 1500 – 2000 words rather than 3 – 4 pages. This way it is much more difficult for the writer to “game the system” by using large fonts and excessive spacing to meet the writing criteria.
If you are given a writing assignment with a page number, the best thing to do is go directly to the person who made the assignment and ask for a word count. This will take away all the variations and help ensure your writing assignment meets expectations. If it’s for something informal and you simply need a general guideline, you can find it below.
How many pages is…
The below list is an approximation, and actual pages will differ depending on a number of factors mentioned earlier in this article. Use the below information for a general reference, but don’t assume it will be the case at all times. Here are basic word to pages conversions:
- 500 words is 1 page single spaced, 2 pages double spaced.
- 1,000 words is 2 pages single spaced 4 pages double spaced.
- 1,500 words is 3 pages single spaced, 6 pages double spaced.
- 2,000 words is 4 pages single spaced, 8 pages double spaced.
- 2,500 words is 5 pages single spaced, 10 pages double spaced.
- 3,000 words is 6 pages single spaced, 12 pages double spaced.
- 4,000 words is 8 pages single spaced, 16 pages double spaced.
- 5,000 words is 10 pages single spaced, 20 pages double spaced.
- 7,500 words is 15 pages single spaced, 30 pages double spaced.
- 10,000 words is 20 pages single spaced, 40 pages double spaced.
- 20,000 words is 40 pages single spaced, 80 pages double spaced.
- 25,000 words is 50 pages single spaced, 100 pages double spaced.
- 30,000 words is 60 pages single spaced, 120 pages double spaced.
- 40,000 words is 80 pages single spaced, 160 pages double spaced.
- 50,000 words is 100 pages single spaced, 200 pages double spaced.
- 60,000 words is 120 pages single spaced, 240 pages double spaced.
- 70,000 words is 140 pages single spaced, 280 pages double spaced.
- 75,000 words is 150 pages single spaced, 300 pages double spaced.
- 80,000 words is 160 pages single spaced, 320 pages double spaced.
- 90,000 words is 180 pages single spaced, 360 pages double spaced.
- 100,000 words is 200 pages single spaced, 400 pages double spaced.
Below are basic pages to words conversions:
- 1 page is 500 words single spaced, 250 words double spaced.
- 2 pages is 1,000 words single spaced, 500 words double spaced.
- 3 pages is 1,500 words single spaced, 750 words double spaced.
- 4 pages is 2,000 words single spaced, 1,000 words double spaced.
- 5 pages is 2,500 words single spaced, 1,250 words double spaced.
- 6 pages is 3,000 words single spaced, 1,500 words double spaced.
- 7 pages is 3,500 words single spaced, 1,750 words double spaced.
- 8 pages is 4,000 words single spaced, 2,000 words double spaced.
- 9 pages is 4,500 words single spaced, 2,250 words double spaced.
- 10 pages is 5,000 words single spaced, 2,500 words double spaced.
- 15 pages is 7,500 words single spaced, 3,750 words double spaced.
- 20 pages is 10,000 words single spaced, 5,000 words double spaced.
- 25 pages is 12,500 words single spaced, 6,250 words double spaced.
- 30 pages is 15,000 words single spaced, 7,500 words double spaced.
- 40 pages is 20,000 words single spaced, 10,000 words double spaced.
- 50 pages is 25,000 words single spaced, 12,500 words double spaced.
- 60 pages is 30,000 words single spaced, 15,000 words double spaced.
- 70 pages is 35,000 words single spaced, 17,500 words double spaced.
- 75 pages is 37,500 words single spaced, 18,750 words double spaced.
- 80 pages is 40,000 words single spaced, 20,000 words double spaced.
- 90 pages is 45,000 words single spaced, 22,500 words double spaced.
- 100 pages is 50,000 words single spaced, 25,000 words double spaced.
(Photo courtesy of Horia Varlan)
Essay writing skills are of great importance, as they are vital in the education process, from elementary school to university. Moreover, a number of professionals, such as lawyers and -- more importantly -- journalists, are frequently required to produce high quality essays. Whether you are a student or a professional, when you have to write a 400-word essay, the difficulty level automatically rises. That's because apart from language fluency, you also need to be concise -- present information clearly and in few words.
Safely enable Office 365 with this 50+ item 0365 security checklist. Get the guide.
Study your subject before you start writing. Regardless of your writing skills and your ability to compile a 400-word text from scratch, the reader will understand whether you are aware of the subject or you just improvised.
Present the information as a list of features, or if the content is contradictory, use the compare and contrast method. On the latter, the essay will consist of four paragraphs, while for the list presentation, do not include more that five paragraphs.
Prepare the structure of your essay. Plan which pieces of information to use in each paragraph and which irrelevant topics to omit. This will save you from erasing parts of paragraphs and hastily patching others, which, during school test, can prove disastrous -- especially when using pens.
Express clearly the main idea of your essay, as well as background information about the topic, in the introduction. The introductory paragraph must not be larger that 100 words, or 80, if you write a five-paragraph essay.
Clarify the subject of each paragraph of the main part. When readers have finished reading the first sentence, they must know what the paragraph is about. The paragraph's last sentence should prepare for your arguments in the following part.
Conclude the essay by summarizing its contents, or suggesting solutions for the presented problem. Never omit the conclusion, even if you have much more information to give than 400 words allow.
To know how to compose a 400 word essay as a matter of first importance, you ought to recognize the sort of essay you are going to compose. When we discuss the essay sorts, as a rule, we manage the accompanying: “For and Against” Essays, Opinion Essays, giving out Solutions to Problems and Letters to the Editor.
In spite of the fact that every sort of an essay has its style and writing system, in the meantime, every one of them has heaps of regular components and one writing plan. Before beginning to compose your bit of writing, study the real components of essay sorts writing style. Typed, 400 words essay is about a page and a half.
When you have effectively recognized the sort of essay you will think of, the time has come to get the opportunity to work. To help you to adapt to it effectively we propose that you read and exploit the accompanying tips:
– Identify the sort of essay you are going to draft.
Perused about the normal elements of the essay writing style and also take in the idiosyncrasies of the essay sort you ought to compose. Work out the plan of your essay sort writing and tail it when writing an essay. Recognize the style, the structure; the connecting words utilized as a part of this sort of essay writing.
– Brainstorm for the ways to deal with be utilized as a part of your essay.
Try not to be reluctant to begin writing an essay. Take as much time as necessary with the thoughts that you need to suggest in your bit of writing. Have your thoughts first in your mind without putting them down on the paper. When you have a craving for writing them down, take notes on each thought, word, and expression that goes to your head and identifies with the subject of your essay. You can see more about writing 400-word essay at How to write 400 word essay?
Writing a 400 word essay would seem a difficult task. However, let us tell you something: negative attitude towards the task assigned can only cause a failure. Take it easy and be optimistic about the forthcoming work! Besides, our tips for writing 400 word essays will facilitate your work.
You may also consider using some online essay writing service
What is a 400 word descriptive essay about?
Well, actually it is a typical essay. It is a three-part paper that aims to provide vivid descriptions of some object, event, or phenomenon in details. You can achieve this purpose by comparing things or presenting certain associations with the object under description.
How long is a 400 word essay?
Double space, Times New Roman 12 is pretty much universal, in college anyway. Typed, 400 words is about a page and a half. You need to ask about going over the word count because it depends on the instructor.
How to write a 400 word essay?
Usually, 400 word essays consist of the following parts:
- Introduction that includes your thesis statement for the topic of your choice or given to you. Spend some time on choosing the right topic. If the topic is given to you, think of ways to make it interesting. Generally, a broad topic is given to students. You have to think about sub topics and then identify the relevant thesis statement.
- Body. In this part of the 400 word essay, you have to:
- Arouse emotions and feelings in the reader by using some original approach;
- Share your feelings about the object/event/phenomenon with the reader;
- Present key images; ◦ Help the reader feel as if he/she is taking part in the scenes you are describing.
- Conclusion. Close your paper with a 45 word conclusion. The essay conclusion must summarize and restate only the most notable ideas discussed in the body. Do not introduce a fresh point in the conclusion.
When you prepare for your 400 word essay, put yourself in the reader’s shoes. Think out of the box. Research material is of paramount importance. The authenticity of information would give your essay some clout. If you have referenced from reliable sources, say it and refer to it. This would generate more interest and add credibility. Always look for essay help from sources you are familiar with or are sure are genuine sources of information.
Follow these essay tips and you would have enough reason to believe that your next 500 word essay would become a reference for future students.
A 400-word essay that should be easy right? Not always, sometimes writing a short essay can be harder than writing a long one. This is because you have to be quick and get to the point when you write a short essay. Also, you have to know how to be extremely specific using only a few sentences. Lastly, to write a 400-word essay you have to condense your ideas and include only the most important ones while also following the basic essay structure. For these 3 reasons writing a short essay can actually be quite difficult.
Get to the point
If you are the kind of person who likes to meander in their writing then getting straight to the point can be very tricky. You will likely have to jump right in and get to your thesis right away within the first or second sentence. Then, you’ll want to briefly list your defending points without running too long. This may take some practice.
Be Brief But Specific
When listing your defending points you’ll want to be short but also specific. In three short sentences you should list what the brief body paragraphs are going to be about. You should also be very clear about what you are trying to achieve in your writing. When composing your body paragraphs you will want to avoid running too long.
Summarize and Condense
Finally, when you write a 400-word essay instead of being long and descriptive you have to be short and very specific. This means that you will have to condense your ideas and be very focused on single objectives. In such a short composition there is no room for rambling. Instead, just say what you mean and mean what you say- then, move on to the next paragraph promptly.
Creating an excellent 400-word essay requires an author to be smart and write very well. You have to consider carefully what you want to say a figure out a way to express that idea in 300 words or less. You are also required to stick to the basic essay structure that requires at least 5 paragraphs. However, if you get to the point quickly, are brief yet specific, and condense your explanations, then you will be able to do it successfully; Keeping your short essay under the 400-word maximum.
Source: Easy And Fresh Ideas For College Essay Writing